Saraplast is currently partnering with government schools on the development and/or maintenance and upkeep of 100 toilets across 10 schools, serving 3000 students a month. Activities include:
• Providing high quality HDPE (High Density Polethylene) toilets in schools where there are no sanitation facilities available. Fourteen such portable toilets have been installed in these schools with a minimal monthly rental.
• Arranging awareness camps for children to improve their knowledge, attitudes and practices around hygiene.
• Maintaining daily cleaning reports, signed by the school principal and the site supervisor.
• Taking feedback, through questionnaires, from school staff and parents regarding the change in their pupils’ hygienic behavior.
• Ensuring cleaning and maintenance of facilities through coordinating with school authorities and the municipality. The maintenance is carried out with the help of a truck equipped with jetting machine and water supply for cleaning the toilet. This helps in reduction of the time taken for the maintenance and more schools are covered with a single truck in a single day. There is a driver and a equipment handler with the truck who carry out the maintenance activities.
The current project is implemented in partnership with PCMC - the Municipal Corporation of Pune - and based on the success of the project, the program will be implemented across a larger number of schools in Pune.